About Rwanda Airports Company
Brief Background of Rwanda Airports Company Ltd (RAC)
RAC is a subsidiary of "The Aviation, Travel and Logistics Holding Limited", a Holding Group wholly owned by the government of Rwanda. Rwanda Airports Company Ltd has within its purview the daily management, operation and provision of air navigation services for all airports in the country.
Role of Rwanda Airports Company Ltd
- Rwanda Airports Company Ltd is committed to promoting Rwanda's Airports as a prime destination for airlines and diversifying aeronautical and non-aeronautical revenue streams.
- Rwanda Airports Company Ltd will oversee the airport’s commercial activities, including airport concessions and retail businesses, as well as manage air-hub businesses, engineering and infrastructure development.
Rwanda Airports Company Ltd Main Responsibilities
- The management and monitoring of air space;
- The management of flight, terminal, safety and airport operations;
- The management of airport's commercial activities, airport concessions and retail businesses;
- The management of facilities.
Airports and Airstrips in Rwanda under RAC’s Management
- Kigali International Airport (KIA)
Kigali International Airport (KIA) revamped to meet international standards.
The state of the art airport is located in Kigali, the capital of Rwanda. In the last two consecutive years, KIA was ranked amongst the top ten best airports in Africa, based on customer service surveys.
With over $30 million invested during the last three years, the airport has undergone major upgrades featuring a new apron, three taxiways, a hangar and an upcoming upgrade of airfield lighting to CAT II.
KIA is dedicated to ensuring safety and supporting air navigation services with the latest technology including a state of the art Bird Collision Avoidance System, to eliminate the risk of bird strikes, advanced weather forecasting instruments and up to date air traffic interface management technologies.
- Kamembe International Airport (KME)
Kamembe airport is located in the South west of Rwanda and is the spring board to some of the most spectacular tourism attractions the country has to offer. Currently KME is undergoing an upgrade on airfield lighting, meteorological facilities, navaids and power capacity. The airport was also given a major facelift to reinforce the runway and apron. KME currently supports Q400 series aircraft and serves as an active transiting port tor traders from neighboring states
- Gisenyi Airport
Located in the West of the country, near the economically vibrant town of Rubavu, the airport is one of the main tourist destinations in the country, offering breathtaking views of Lake Kivu
- Ruhengeri Airstrip:
Located North West of Rwanda and in close proximity of internationally renowned tourism attractions such as the Virunga National Volcanoes Park, home to the famous silverback gorillas
- Butare Airstrip:
provides quick access to the southern part of the country
- Nemba Airstrip:
serves travelers seeking personalized tours in the south eastern part of the country.